Mota Fofalia, India

Mota Fofalia, India
Parking Spot

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Hospital Work

This is an exercise in patience! I am still struggling with getting the low birth weight baby fed. I've been working with the nurses on that. Today, I scheduled a meeting with all of the nurses to talk about the importance of feeding. It's sometimes difficult to understand! :)
Other things are progressing a little bit. I met with Meghna today to talk about my goals my stay. One of them is educating the nurses. I'm also going to meet with the community Health Care Workers. I'll hopefully go to a Nursing School and government hospital as well. Today, I met with the supply room to find out what supplies they have and what they need. I also followed up with a few malnourished children. 1 is the baby from last time. He has a name. It's Vicar. Often times, people in India don't name their babies until they are 1, because the survival rate is not good. Despite it's advancements, India still has one of the highest infant mortality rates in the world. But, Vicar is doing well. I told some of you that when one of our doctor's followed up with Vicar in November, at 1 month of age, he was almost dead. She brought him back to the hospital, where he stayed for a month. Then, he was sent home with formula. He is now up to about 5 pounds, which is double his birthweight. That's good. They are following him, so it's looking more promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment