Mota Fofalia, India

Mota Fofalia, India
Parking Spot

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Nurse Education

My purpose here is to Educate the nurses on taking care of Pediatric Patients. But, I have learned my job is much bigger than that. These nurses have gone to nursing school, but the practice here is much different. They have been giving meds and delivering babies. I can't deliver a baby, but I do a whole lot more than give meds to my cute pediatric patients. So, I am teaching vital signs and assessment. Seems so elementary for a nurse, but that is what they need. And, of course, hand hygiene! I have been given a list of educational needs by the Pediatrician. My goal is to get through all of them. That includes: Hand Hygiene, Newborn care, IV, Feeds and temperature. I am adding vital signs to that. I have introduced vital signs in October, taught them in Jan, but found that they weren't being done when I arrived this time. I audited the first week, educated again yesterday, and showed up before doctor rounds this morning to walk around and do vital signs with them. I will continue doing this week. And, have asked the medical students to audit after I leave, to see if they are still being done. I have a nurse coming in July, so I will have her re-evaluate and re-educate. That's the name of the game around here. Re-education about vital signs! The UofU asked me to stay for a year, to tackle some of these problems. I said I would like to, but I also enjoy a stable job at home. And a clean bathroom is a plus! (As a side-note: I asked a sweeper to clean my bathroom. They cleaned my entire room, threw away the trash, and didn't touch the bathroom! I really think bathrooms are considered filthy here, so they are not cleaned. I have never had a clean bathroom here. Makes going into one less desirable. That, and the fact that there is no AC in there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment